In terms of tourism in France, the Var comes second to Paris with 9 million visitors in 2012, of which over a million were foreign visitors.
When the French tourist office ran a survey with British visitors in 2012, to find out what attracts them to the Var, the answers were:
- Sun and the climate
- Relaxed lifestyle and “savoir vivre”
- Charm of resorts, villages and markets
- Sea, the Mediterranean
- Gastronomy and wine
- Provence Countryside
- Ease of travel for reaching France due to the choice of airports and low cost air travel
- Cultural activities
- Close to skiing in the winter
- Lower cost of living and housing, especially when compared to the UK, Switzerland and towns like Oslo or Moscow.
- Excellent health care
- Security and low crime
- Positive demographics
- Stable long term investment environment at the heart of the EU
Another reason for some who have moved to the Var is simply moving closer to friends or relatives already living in the region. For more information on the Var, check www.visitvar.fr
What is weather like over the year ?